Computers with Internet Access
Allegany County Library System provides its customers with public access computers at its 6 locations. Because computers are so popular, the library has installed software that allows all computer users equal access at each location.
Please read our Computer Acceptable Use Policy.
All library computers offer:
- Search in the library’s collection for Books, Movies, & More
- Internet access
- Microsoft Office software (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Database access (find articles, biographies, encyclopedia, and much more)
Using WiFi in the Library
All locations have free Wi-Fi access in public areas for all library visitors with laptops and other mobile devices.
Connecting to the Library’s Wireless Network
- Using your computer’s network utilities, look for the library wireless network
- The library wireless network does not require a password to connect, but users must agree to the library’s Computer Use Policy and Rules of Conduct
How do I login to use a computer?
Your library card number (found under the barcode on the back of the card) and a personal identification number (PIN) enable you to access public computers. If you have any problems or questions logging in, please see a library staff member.
Are there time limits for use?
At this time, there are no limits on computer session length. Computers will automatically shut down 10 minutes before closing.
- An inactivity warning shows if your PC is idle for too long, then the PC logs off after five (5) minutes of inactivity.
- Timeout warnings appear before your session will end. Pay attention to these warnings to avoid losing work, as the session will automatically log off when time is up.
- Always click [Exit] when you are finished.
- Library is closing warnings display before the library closes for the day. All computers will turn off ten (10) minutes prior to closing time.
I am visiting the area. Can I use a computer?
Visitors may apply for a temporary visitor’s card. The visitor’s cards are good only through the end of the day they are issued, visitors must obtain a new visitor’s card each day of visit.
Is there a charge for printing?
Printing from public computers costs $.20 per page for black & white and $.50 per page for color. Payment for printing must be applied to the computer user’s library card prior to printing. Payment can be made at the circulation desk with cash or credit or debit card ($1.00 minimum on card payments). Please contact the location you plan to visit to learn more about the printing options at that library.
The My Account button at the bottom left tells you the print balance on your account.
The computer displays how many pages you are about to print and will calculate the total cost.
Your privacy is important to us
The software the library has installed ensures your privacy while using the library’s computers. When you log off the Internet, the software deletes all of the sites you visited, and also any “Favorites” and “Bookmarks”. Your printing information will also be deleted.
Viewing inappropriate content
Although the library subscribes to software to block access to objectionable material, no filtering software is 100% effective. The viewing of pages that display graphic sexual content is inappropriate for a public and open environment and is prohibited. Library staff will intervene when they observe such behavior or if it is brought to their attention.